There is no reason to give the kids Popsicles made of Kool-Aide or even sugary fruit juice. These blueberry-banana swirl pops are sweet and tasty without the sugar.
Blueberries and bananas, especially over-ripe bananas are naturally very sweet-tasting .Popsicles made with fruits like strawberries, raspberries and blackberries need sugar to sweeten them because of their tartness. But blueberries and bananas can be sweetened with honey, and no sugar at all needs to be added.
No sugar makes these pops good for diabetic and overweight kids. Adults too. Additionally, blueberries are packed with antioxidants that fight disease.
These blueberry-banana Popsicles are rich, creamy and really delicious. Try them! I show you how step-by-step in a photo tutorial. This recipe makes four full-size pops. Double the recipe for more!
Puree two very ripe bananas
Add a six-ounce container of vanilla low-fat yogurt
Add two tablespoons honey and one tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Pour out half of the banana-yogurt mixture and set aside
Add fresh blueberries and blend slightly
Layer the two mixtures into Popsicle molds . Swirl with a Popsicle stick and then place the stick in the middle
Place in the freezer for at least 8 hours. Place mold in warm water for a few seconds and release the Popsicles.
Ingredients for Blueberry-Banana Swirl Pops
- 2 small to medium bananas, very ripe
- 1/1/2 cups blueberries, fresh
- 1 6-ounce container vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- Puree 2 ripe bananas
- Add yogurt, honey and lemon juice. Blend
- Set aside half of this mixture.
- Add blueberries in blender and blend slightly.
- Alternate layers of the two mixtures into Popsicle molds. Twirl with a Popsicle stick.
- Leave in the Popsicle sticks. Freeze for at least 8 hours.
- Dip mold into a bowl of very hot water for just a few seconds to release pops.