Kids Make Breakfast in Bed for Mom
Moms love breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day! Somewhat a tradition, it is so cute and endearing when kids plan a breakfast in bed for Mom. Busily concocted and then carried in on a tray with flowers, even runny eggs and burnt toast is appreciated by Mom.
For Mother’s Day practice making these two easy kid’s eggs recipes this week. Maybe they will get the hint. Or better yet share the recipes now with Dad and really be “surprised” with breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day.
Eggs in a Nest and Eggs on a Cloud are fun easy ways to give breakfast bling to eggs.
How to Make Eggs in a Nest
Basically, eggs in a nest is an egg cooked in a “hole” in a slice of bread. Eggs in a cloud involve whipping egg whites for the yolks to be cooked inside of. There are a lot of variations for the two eggs and toast recipes- some easy and others so elegant as to rival eggs Benedict.
One idea for eggs in a nest is to use a shape cookie cutter for cutting the hole from the bread. Use a cookie cutter to match the holiday!
Some cooks like to use layers of phyllo dough baked in muffin cups then adding the cooked ingredients ( ham, cheese, garlic and melted butter) inside the phyllo “baskets”. Other recipes for eggs in a cloud call for ingredients like grated gourmet cheese, chives or crumbled bacon.
We decided to go simple and easy with our eggs in a nest and eggs on a cloud recipes.
Easy Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Eggs in a nest is an especially easy eggs and toast recipe for kids. We used Texas Toast for the bread. I thought it would be less mess if the hole was somewhat thicker than regular bread slices. We really wanted to use a flower shaped cookie cutter but we couldn’t find one. We used a biscuit cutter instead. We toasted up the “holes”, buttered them and served them with our own cream cheese spread of diced apple and raisins.
- one or two per person eggs, organic if possible
- one slice for each egg Texas toast, other sliced bread if desired
- butter, softened
- salt and pepper
- Cut a hole with a biscuit or cookie cutter in each slice of bread
- Butter the bread and keep the holes
- Brown the bread unbuttered side down in a skillet
- Crack and drop the egg in the hole
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Transfer to baking sheet using a spatula
- Finish cooking under the broiler for 3-5 more minutes
Easy Eggs On A Cloud Recipe
- One or two eggs per person, at room temperature
- Thinly sliced ham
- Thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- One slice of bread per egg
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter per two eggs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly toast and butter the bread
- Top with ham and cheese slices
- Place on a baking sheet
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff
- Top the toast slices with a serving spoon size dollop of egg white
- Make a depression in the “cloud” with the back of a spoon
- Slide egg yolks into the “clouds”
- Bake for 10 minutes or until egg is set and egg whites are golden brown
An “Eggstraordinary” Tradition
We hope these two recipes will help make Mom’s Day a little more special this year. The recipes are really easy and delicious. They could become some of the kid’s favorite recipes for breakfast. Happy Mother’s Day!