Now that Memorial Day has passed, the summer season is officially here. It’s time for long hot days, warm starry nights, barbecues and picnics.
Mix a favorite summer drink and fields of wild daisies into a special cupcake. Pink lemonade cupcakes are my salute to summer. I used lemon cupcake mix, sprinkled in pink lemonade Kool-Aid and added a little more sugar to the batter.
I tinted sweet creamy cream cheese frosting pink and yellow and used pink and yellow cupcake wrappers to bake them in.
But the big surprise is the candied daisy toppers made from real wild daisies which are totally edible!
It turns out that there are around 300 kinds of wild daisies. The ox-eye is the one most common in my area.
Just like dandelions and false dandelions, daisies are edible flowers and they are actually good for you! The leaves are packed with calcium and the flowers contain potassium.
Take care when picking daisies to eat. Make sure the area is away from pollution like highways and that the soil has not been treated with pesticides or herbicides in at least two years.Ingredients for Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- One box Lemon cupcake mix
- One cup +two TBS Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Three Eggs
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/2 package Pink lemonade mix
Instructions for Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Prepare cupcakes mix according to package directions
- Sprinkle in a half package of pink lemonade Kool-Aid mix in batter
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar and the two tablespoons of water.
- Mix batter again. Pour into cupcake holders and bake.
- Tint icing. Cool the cupcakes and ice. Add pre-made candied daisy toppers.
How to Grow Your Own Daisies
Growing your own daisies will ensure that you have a supply that is safe to eat. Grow them organically and use natural pesticides and herbicides.rminate your seeds in soil enriched with peat moss and vermiculite. They need to be in soil that is well- drained.
All types of daisies do best in full sun. Mist daily and the seeds will germinate in about 14 to 28 days.
Plant daisies among vegetables and other plants. They attract pollinating bees and butterflies.
How to Make Candied Daisies
- Break off flower heads.
- Wash daisies thoroughly and allow them to dry.
- Beat egg white (from egg at room temperature) with a few drops of water.
- Beat until slightly bubbly.
- Paint egg white on flowers with a small paintbrush.
- Dip into *super fine sugar.
- Dry several hours on wax paper.
*super-fine sugar can be bought or made by grinding in a blender on liquefy setting.
Other Edible Flowers:
- Day Lily