The Fourth Of July is one of those holidays that seems to sneak up quickly. Suddenly the holiday week is here and visions of flag cakes with strawberries and blueberries are dancing in our heads.
Backyard barbecues, block parties and that feeling one gets when patriotic music is playing at a fireworks show rates this holiday second only to Christmas for fond memories.
There is still time to plan a great gathering for friends and family to celebrate America’s birthday. Gather the kids and have some fun creating one or two of these quick and easy patriotic desserts.
Cool and refreshing, these recipe ideas use fresh fruit and yogurt for healthier options than some of the red and blue cakes and icings.
These dessert ideas would make great treats for kids at a day care center, day camp or just for celebrating the holiday at home. Quick and easy, they are perfect for adding last minute details for Fourth of July entertaining.
That vision of a colorful red, white and blue Fourth of July dessert can become a reality with Patriotic Parfaits, Star Spangled Banner Shortcake, and Freedom Melon Berry Fruit Cups.
- 24 ounces each low or nonfat yogurt, strawberry, blueberry and vanilla
- Cool Whip
- 16 ounces whipping cream, topping
- 1 cup or more strawberries, blueberries, for garnish
- Fill the bottom one-third of a parfait dish with blueberry yogurt.
- Add vanilla yogurt for the next third of the dish. Add a layer of blueberries.Add a thin layer of Cool Whip.
- Add a layer of sliced strawberries. Top off with strawberry yogurt.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Beat the whipping cream until stiff
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and berries before serving
Star Spangled Banner Short Cake
- pound cake slices
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 40 inches strawberry candy rolls,fruit roll ups (or about 1/2 cup strawberry jam)
- Beat until smooth, the cream cheese and Cool Whip.
- Slice the pound cake into slices 1/2 inch thick.
- Ice each slice with the cream cheese and Cool Whip icing.
- Decorate in flag fashion with the blueberries and candy strips.
- Serve with sliced strawberries on the side.
Freedom Fruit Cups
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- Cool Whip
- Cube watermelon
- Layer cubed watermelon and berries in parfait glasses
- Top with Cool Whip and garnish with berries