Once again, it is just a few days before Christmas. If you find yourself needing just one more dessert dish to get through all the festivities, consider making a pumpkin roll. This easy recipe produces a festive looking and very delicious dessert. It only takes 15 minutes to bake, and looks and tastes like more effort went into its creation than actually did.
There are three great things about a pumpkin roll for the holidays: First, they are really easy and don’t take a lot of time. Secondly, the ingredients are mostly basic items you probably already have on hand. You won’t have to dash out to the grocery store and stand in a two-mile long line for three things. I had canned pumpkin left over from Thanksgiving, which was about the only thing I don’t normally have around. Lastly, a pumpkin roll is both decorative and delicious.
How to Make a Pumpkin Roll
Pumpkin rolls are made with pumpkin and flour that, along with eggs, sugar, and spices, produces a really moist cake. It is spread evenly in a jelly roll pan or on a cookie sheet. It is then placed in a moist linen towel that is sprinkled with powdered sugar. The towel is rolled up while the cake cools. Then it is unrolled and spread with a cream cheese filling. Once again, it is rolled up and put in plastic wrap. After chilling, slice the pumpkin cake and serve it cold with a hot beverage like coffee or spiced tea. Delicious!
This year, since I hate that two-mile long last minute line at the grocery store, I created a new twist on taste for my pumpkin roll. I was out of vanilla extract, but I happened to have rum extract. I substituted the rum extract for the vanilla in the recipe and fell in love with the new flavor I created. Give it a try!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Roll
- One cup Flour, All purpose
- One cup White sugar
- Three Eggs
- One tsp Baking soda
- One tsp Cinnamon
- One tsp Nutmeg
- Three-fourths cup Pumpkin Puree
- One tsp Rum extract
- One cup Powdered sugar, Vanilla if preferred
- One-fourth cup Butter, Softened
- One 8 ounce package Cream cheese, Softened
Instructions for Making a Pumpkin Roll
1.Combine the flour, sugar, and spices. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Add the eggs and pumpkin. Stir until the ingredients are well blended.
3. Place in greased and floured pan jelly roll pan. Bake in preheated oven for fifteen minutes.
4. Loosen edges with a spatula. Carefully remove the cake.
5. Turn the pan over a damp linen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
6. Roll up and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
7. Make the filling by creaming the softened cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. Add rum or vanilla flavoring.
8. Unroll and remove the cake. Spread the filling on evenly.
9. Roll the pumpkin roll up again without the towel. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill several hours.
10. Slice and serve.
Serving the Pumpkin Roll
Served cold, pumpkin roll is perfect for Christmas breakfast or brunch. Have guests in for afternoon coffee and serve slices of pumpkin roll. A creme-filled pumpkin roll is great to add to the Christmas Eve or Christmas Day buffet
Pumpkin rolls can also make great pre-planned gifts. They can be wrapped in foil and stored in the fridge. Then slice and put in a pretty tin.