As summer winds down, our thoughts turn to the approaching autumn and winter seasons. How time flies! Have you noticed that tastes in foods change with the seasons? It will soon be time to replace cold soups, salads and grilled fare with some hearty comfort food.
Like spring, fall is a transitional season with hot weather ending in cooler days and chilly nights. Before the beef stew, mac n’ cheese and hot soups, try a gourmet skillet dinner. One of my favorites is my version of Pork Chops Parmesan.
This recipe calls for julienned sweet potatoes and chopped walnuts smothered in a honey herb vinaigrette. The sweet potato and walnut combination will give a subtle hint of harvest and holiday food. This dish will help say goodbye to summer and welcome fall in an especially tasty way.
Gourmet Skillet Dinner
There are a couple of secrets that make this dish really easy to make and very tasty. You will appreciate how easy gourmet cooking will be with this recipe. A mixture of spices and Parmesan cheese added to flour are used to bread lean-cut, de-boned pork chops.
The sweet potatoes and walnuts are tossed in a really tasty honey herb vinaigrette. Cooked on the range in a good stir fry pan, this gourmet skillet dinner is quick to make without skimping on flavor.
This skillet dinner is healthy as well as delicious. The lean pork chops are quick-fried in olive oil, supplying important omega 3 fats. Sweet potatoes are loaded with plenty of nutrients and antioxidants including beta-carotene.They are high in lots of vitamins including vitamins C and D. These vitamins are critical for a strong immune system, youthful skin and more.
They also contain the minerals iron and magnesium. Iron is important not only for adequate energy but also for the production of white blood cells. Magnesium is a mineral that helps us relax and de-stress. This mineral is also important for cardiovascular, bone and nerve health.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds pork chops, lean, de-boned
- 1 cup flour, for coating
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3-4 cups sweet potatoes, julienned
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 16 Oz orzo, boiled and drained
- Combine ingredients for the vinaigrette and shake well in a covered jar. make the vinaigrette a day ahead and refrigerate
- Boil peeled sweet potatoes for about 8 minutes. cool. cut into julienne strips.
- Meanwhile, coat pork chops in flour mixture
- Heat 3 TBS olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Cook pork chops, turning once until golden brown. remove from heat
- Boil the orzo according to package directions.
- Bake sweet potato strips together with walnuts for 5 minutes in microwave. toss with honey herb vinaigrette.
- Serve pork chops alongside orzo mixed with the sweet potato mixture.