Summer Birthday Parties for Kids
Lucky is the kid with a summer birthday! I was born on a dreary January day. When I was growing up, I longed for a summer birthday. Even December is a better birthday month than January. At least Christmas food and decoration themes can be used to spice up a December birthday party.
Why are Summer birthday parties best?
They can be held outdoors, and any kid (and parent) likes that best. A shady lawn, cool park, pool and beach side are great places for birthday parties. So lucky the adults who have a kid with a summer birthday!
Sand cups will be a big hit at a pool or beach birthday party or any Summer party. Are you having a Fourth of July party for families? Sand cups will be the perfect dessert for the kids.
Kids will enjoy helping to make sand cups. My version of sand cups uses Berry Blue Jello and gummy fish, gummy sharks or other gummy ocean animals. Keep your eyes open for the gummy sea animals. The bears and worms tend to out-number the gummy ocean animals. But they can be found! This year we actually found gummy octopuses sold at a gas station!
Berry Blue Jello is the ocean, cool whip is the sea foam and a mixture of vanilla pudding, a little cool whip, and finely crushed vanilla wafers crumbs form the beach and sand. Top the beach off with a Fruit Stripe gum beach towel, a cocktail umbrella, a round, peppermint “beach ball” and a Golden Teddy Grahams teddy bear with a tan!
This is a low-cook (vanilla pudding and Jell-o) no-knife no-knife recipe and safe for kids to assist with.
Ingredients for Sand Cups
- 3 packages Jell-O brand gelatin, Berry Blue, large 6 oz. size
- 1 package Jell-o brand instant pudding, French vanilla
- 1 cup milk, for pudding
- 1 box Vanilla Wafers, finely crushed
- gummy sea animals, fish, sharks, etc.
- peppermint candies, round
- 1 container Cool Whip
Instructions For Sand Cups
- Prepare three packages of Berry Blue Jell-O according to directions.
- Pour plastic dessert cups 2/3 full and refrigerate to set.
- Half-way until set insert the gummy sea animals into the Jell-o.
- Prepare the instant pudding with the milk according to directions on package.
- Place 3/4 box vanilla wafers in a large Zip-lock bag and finely crush with a rolling pin.
- Mix 3/4 box of crumbs into the pudding along with half of the container of Cool Whip.
- When the Jell-o has firmly set (about 4 hours) remove from the fridge.
- Spread a thin layer of Cool Whip on the “ocean” to be the sea foam
- Carefully spread the pudding and wafer crumb mixture on top using a rubber spatula.
- Finely crush the remaining 1/4 box of vanilla wafers and sprinkle on top. Then add a stick of Fruit Stripe gum for a “beach towel”, round peppermint for a “beach ball”, a few Teddy Grahams on top and a “beach umbrella.