Acocado Salad Recipe
I’ve been on the avocado bandwagon for a while. That’s a good thing because they now have the reputation as being one of the world’s healthiest foods. They can lower your cholesterol and help your body absorb other nutrients. They ease arthritis inflammation and reduce your risk of certain cancers, But as tasty as they are, avocados just aren’t a fruit (Yes, they’re not veggies) made to eat alone like apples and oranges.
I top off nachos with them and I make guacamole dip. I decided an avocado salad would be the next best way to eat them. I’m just not ready to try them in a pudding with chocolate. Maybe later.
So I researched some recipes and came up with my own version. It’s super healthy, made from fresh ingredients full of nutrition. You don’t need any mayo or salad dressing. I made it for a Father’s Day cookout, so my recipe makes 12 servings. Cut it in half for a smaller crowd.
Here are the ingredients: (12 servings)
- 4 large ripe avocados
- 2 sweet onions. (Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- 2 large cucumbers
- 2 large green bell peppers.
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes
- Sea salt and peppercorns
All of these ingredients are packed with nutrition.
- Avocados, in addition to healthy fats, are a source of B-vitamins, and vitamins K & C.
- Cukes are loaded with B-vitamins. Plus they are full of water and fiber, helping to flush out toxins.
- Green peppers are a source of vitamin A, which helps your eyesight and vitamin K. helping your blood clot when you cut yourself with a kitchen knife. And they also have some of that famous antioxidant, vitamin C, boosting your immune system.
- Onions have B-vitamins and manganese.
- Cilantro is a healthy spice, high in several antioxidants that fight disease.
Let’s Put This Avocado Salad Together
Cut the cukes into cubes. On the large side. Put them in the bowl first.
Dice and add the onions. Not too fine. Make sure to use sweet onions.
Next comes the bell peppers. Slice them in one to two-inch curly strips.
Now carefully peel and slice the avocados. Think peach slices.
Add the chopped cilantro
Toss and sprinkle on the juice of two limes.
Season with sea salt and ground peppercorns